20 Dec 2011

Day-Trippers New Fashion Accessory


A day-tripper is a person who visits a tourist destination or visitor attraction from his/her home and returns home on the same day.

Dual Scarf At The Manchester Derby
This seasons must have fashion accessory for the Old Trafford day-trippers, is an item I find disgusting and utterly offencive. The new must have item to go with other stand out day-tripper wear, like the Megastore bag, official Manchester United tracksuit or official shirt, and long lens camera, ladies and gentleman, I present to you ..............The Dual Football Scarf.

For anybody who is unsure what a Dual Football Scarf is, let me explain, a Dual Football Scarf Is a scarf that is half one football team, complete with team crest, and half another team with team crest.

Dual Scarves have been around for a long time on the continent, and I can fully understand why a supporter travelling away on a Champions League trip would purchase, let's say for arguments sake, a Dual Scarf which is half Manchester United and half Bayern Munich. The scarf would be a nice keeps sake, a souvenir, something to remind you of your journey and the game. I would have no problem wearing a scarf that was half United, half Bayern Munich as they are not a local rival.

So imagine when to my amazement,  I stumbled across a group of United day-trippers at Old Trafford this year for the Manchester Derby, who were all wearing Dual United/City scarves. At first glance I thought it was a United fan with a Manchester City scarf on, so you can imagine my confusion. This was until I noticed that when he turned around the other half of his scarf had the United colours and club crest on it.

I was that angered and embarrassed by them, that I took the photograph for this article with my Iphone so that I could show it to other United supporters and get their views on it (see picture above). I was absolutely staggered that somebody would buy a Dual United/City scarf, it just goes to show that the people purchasing these scarfs do not have a clue about rivalry. A high majority of supporters will understand football rivalry, it's common knowledge that if you decided to go and watch a Barcelona v Real Madrid game at the Nou Camp, you would probably avoid buying a dual scarf and wearing it in the home end.

Personally, I would never wear a scarf that had the club crest of a Premier League rival on it. You could not imagine your hardcore Mancunian United supporter, who follows his team home and away, turning up at Anfield with a Dual United/Liverpool scarf could you? Which tells a story in itself. The people that are purchasing these scarfs are people who are attending Old Trafford for the first time, or using Old Trafford as a tourist attraction, a day out. They see the Dual Scarf as a souvenir to bring home with them, they obviously have no idea or clue about United's history, or rivalry with certain clubs, otherwise they would not buy them.

Dual-Scarves are a sign of how football has changed so dramatically over the years. You definitely could not imagine a Dual Scarf knocking about in the 60s, 70s or 80s. These were days when supporters of football club's were mostly local people who were attached, and supported their club because of where they come from. Being a successful team means that people from all over the world will be drawn to you like a magnet.

I have no problem with this, it's what makes Manchester United's global brand and support so strong compared to others. I just wish that people claiming to support United would do their homework before coming to Old Trafford, and embarrassing us Mancunian's in the process by wearing Dual Scarves that have rival teams crests visible on them.

9 comments:

  1. Im Irish and would never wear them..

    I hate them

    Hate the people who sell them

    Hate the people who wear them with passion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot stand them and don;t understand why any true fan would want to wear one. For me any dual / half and half scarf is just plain wrong. I wouldn't wear a European one either. Just another example of what is happening amongst the fanbase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are they all about? You can only be loyal and passionate to one team and thats that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could be worse, they could be wearing one of them pathetic Yellow and Green Norwich scarfs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been going to united since 1984/85 season and i have seen some pathetic things but this really takes the p1ss, why on earth would you want to buy one, Its just as sickening as the asian community who dont go to a game but pack the players exit so they can get shirts signed and then sell them on ebay, meaning small children miss out on getting signatures because of these pathetic people. It never happened back in the 80,s and 90,s so how times have changed

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an interesting point about people who ruin it for others by selling signed merchandise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh dear... there all f`cked up imo...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You argue that it's ok to buy a Bayern one as its a souvenir from a European away game but the principle still applies here. If they don't go to a lot of games then this is a souvenir of the day. It's all relative to the person.

    I dont buy them as I think they look crap but I fully understand why someone would want to buy one if they have never been to a United game

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sick of them all mate....... I saw one of these out of town clowns wearing one of these things in the charity shield against city....... Let's just say they got it with both barrels (verbally)...... I wish they would all crawl of to where they came from. M28 reds.

    ReplyDelete